Marilyn Borden Thiel (May 29, 1932 - March 25, 2009)

Marilyn Borden...the last surviving member of the Borden Twins acting duo. Along with her sister Roz, Marilyn appeared on a handful of television shows, many cruise ships and several fan conventions. She made appearances on "The Colgate Comedy Hour", "The Jimmy Durante Show", "The Joan Rivers Show", "Four Star Revue", "CHiP'S", "Maude" and "The Ropers." Her most famous role though was as "Teensey" in an episode of "I Love Lucy." The episode "Tennessee Bound" originally aired on January 24, 1955 as part of the show's adventures revolving around the gang's trip to California. While driving through Bent Fork, Tennessee Lucy goes a little too fast and is pulled over by the grouchy old sheriff (Will Wright). Ricky agrees to pay the fine but Lucy stands on principle and find herself behind bars. Ricky and the Mertzes along with "Cousin" Ernie (Tennessee Ernie Ford) attempt to break Lucy out but unfortunately they are caught. Cousin Ernie decides he will make the ultimate sacrifice and marry the sheriff's daughter in exchange for everyone's freedom. Enter Teensey and Weensey...! Ernie proposes but makes a mistake and proposes to the wrong twin and in turn ticks off everybody. Ernie then promises the sheriff that Ricky will take the girls to Hollywood with him and get them into pictures. Marilyn along with Roz gives a wonderful performance as they sing together. Ernie decides that there is only one way to solve the problem and stages a square dance. As everyone dances their way through Ernie tosses some rope to the Ricardos and the Mertzes who quickly tie up the sheriff and his daughters and zip out of the room pretty damn fast. Thanks to that one performance the Borden Twins became beloved by all "Lucy" fans. They appeared at more than one "Lucy" convention and told stories about their friendship with Lucille Ball. I had the honor of meeting Marilyn Borden Thiel in May of 2005 in Lucille's home town of Jamestown, New York. I spent two afternoons and one evening in her company...the first was on the bus tour of Jamestown and surrounding areas. Marilyn was the special surprise guest and she talked about being friends with Lucille and Desi and also with Vivian Vance. I also remember she was not to fond of William Frawley. I remember I wanted her autograph so bad and I didn't have a piece of paper so when the bus stopped for a bathroom break I ran into the little market and bought a cheap greeting card just so I would have the envelope for her to sign. The wonderful lady, she took out a postcard that featured the famous scene from "I Love Lucy" of her and Roz dancing and singing in front of the gang and signed and inscribed it for me. The second time I met up with Marilyn was at a seminar which featured Lucie Arnaz, Wanda Clark (Lucille's secretary), Cleo Smith (Lucille's cousin) and Marilyn. After the seminar ended I got to meet her, have a photo taken with her and get her autograph again this time on a photo of her and her sister with Lucille. The third time I met up with Marilyn was at a private party for Barbara Eden. Marilyn told me that it was wonderful working on "I Love Lucy" because it was a group of actors that sincerely cared about their work and their profession. I then was able to get a photo of Marilyn and Barbara Eden together. She was a wonderful lady and I consider it a great honor and thrill that I was able to meet her. I just know that she and Roz have reunited and are singing and dancing their way across Heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Cast of "Make Room for Daddy" / "The Danny Thomas Show" (583)

Doris Packer (May 30, 1904 - March 31, 1979)