Natalie Schafer (November 5, 1900 - April 10, 1991)

I know what you are all thinking...Mrs. Howell from "Gilligan's Island." That's very true, she was Mrs. Howell on "Gilligan's Island" but I have never watched an episode of the show from beginning to end in my entire life. I will say that she was a wonderful actress and Jim Backus was a wonderful actor so I am sure they were perfect as "the millionaire and his wife" despite the fact that she was thirteen years older than he was in real life. In addition to Broadway Schafer appeared in close to thirty films and guest starred on such shows as "Climax!", "Letter to Loretta", "Playhouse 90", "The Beverly Hillbillies", "77 Sunset Strip", "Mayberry R.F.D.", "Mannix", "Vega$", "Phyllis", "Three's Company" and "The Brady Bunch." The reason I am mentioning her is because for me she will always be Miss Phoebe Emerson, owner of Miss Emerson's Charm School in the "I Love Lucy" episode "The Charm School" which originally aired on January 25, 1954. She also appeared with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in their 1956 motion picture Forever Darling. Her well togetherness and composure as she deals with the zany Mrs. Ricardo and Mrs. Mertz is priceless and her performance is beloved by any "Lucy" fan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Cast of "Make Room for Daddy" / "The Danny Thomas Show" (583)

Doris Packer (May 30, 1904 - March 31, 1979)